Henley ’09

Brunswick made it’s third trip to Henley in the summer of 2009. Each athlete blogged about the experience.

Capt. Turner Smith ’09

Saturday, June 20th

Hey everyone, Turner here. Welcome to the BSBC Henley ’09 Blog! Stay tuned for the latest entries and journal/photo updates from the guys on the team. To kick off the blog, I’ll try to give a brief recap of what we’ve been up to, mainly focusing on our daily routine and also on our first race at the Marlow Regatta on Saturday, June 20th. So far, it’s been a great trip. Here are a few details of what we’ve been doing up to this point.

Between May 26th and June 16th, the day of our departure from the United States, we underwent a grueling and painful training program at the boathouse back in Greenwich. This system, which consisted of 6:30am practices in the morning followed by 3:00pm practices in the afternoon, was designed to increase the speed we had been building over the course of our spring season and to prepare us for the physical and mental challenges of Henley. Between undergoing many difficult workouts on the water, we were also able to practice full-length Henley-style pieces and also scrimmage against neighboring program Norwalk River Rowing Association. The guys and coaches have all been working extremely hard over the past couple weeks to get faster, and now that we’re finally in England, everyone is thrilled to be racing again and excited for the competition that lies ahead.

Since our early morning arrival in the U.K. on June 17th, we’ve been getting used to our daily lives over here. We’re living at the Atkinson household in the center of Henley, which is conveniently located very close to both the river and the middle of town. Mrs. Atkinson cooks us a traditional English breakfast (some bread, cereal, and other pretty basic stuff) every morning either before or after practice depending on our schedule and also prepares dinners (turkey, beef stew, spaghetti, etc.) for us most nights, which have been delicious. The Atkinsons are very kind hosts, and although our accommodations are not the most spacious, it is a very cozy home and we’re gradually growing accustomed to living with each other as roommates in fairly tight quarters. Henley is a truly unique town with a traditional English countryside feel and a deep history based around rowing.

We’ve been practicing two or three times a day over the last couple days to get used to the Empacher we rented and the different line-up changes we’ve been working with. It’s been great rowing up and down the Henley course before the other competitors arrive and also getting a chance to watch the Henley Women’s Regatta, even seeing from a distance British Olympian and rowing legend Sir Matthew Pinsent. After practicing six times in two days on Thursday and Friday, we took our boat over to Dorney Lake to race in the Marlow Regatta on Saturday and Sunday.

Thus begins the recap of our race on Saturday, June 20th, the first of two days of racing at the Marlow Regatta. Dorney Lake, the location of the Eton College Rowing Centre and the future site of the rowing events at the 2012 London Summer Olympics, is a manmade 2,000 meter course that features full-length buoys and a warm-up chute that runs parallel to the course.

The varsity eight’s first race began at around 11:00 in the morning, which was a heat in which the top three crews of six qualified for a semifinal in which once again the top three crews would advance to the grand final. In a fast race against several university and high-school crews from the U.K., we took second place in 6:06.4 after rowing everywhere from first to fourth throughout the course of the race. Shrewsbury, a future competitor at Henley, was the eventual winner, while we beat out two university crews and another high-school crew to take the second of three semifinal qualifying spots. Our second race was at around 3:00pm, but we failed to qualify for the grand final, ending in a disappointing fifth place finish in this semifinal race. Despite a good start, we were unable to withstand strong performances from high-school crews such as Hampton and Kingston. The pair, which raced at 5:15pm, was beaten in its only race of the day, which was essentially a dual race between BSBC and Carlow Rowing Club from Ireland. Despite the results, the day’s races were a great experience for the boys in both the V8+ and the pair, as our main purpose in competing at the Marlow Regatta was to get more racing under our belts in preparation for Henley.

That’s all for now… Check out the BSBC Henley ’09 Blog for more info in the future. It’s hard to believe that Henley starts in a week and a half! LET’S GO ‘WICK!

Peter Chu ’10

Sunday, June 21st

First off, HI MOM AND DAD! … and CJ, if you end up reading this.  Love you, miss you, it’s a lot of fun, blah blah blah.  Ok, now that I got that out of the way we can get right down to it.  Since I know Turner did yesterday’s report outlining what we’ve done so far and how the Saturday Races went, I’m going to tell you about the Sunday events and what REALLY has been going on—with me at least.  Each day has been the same really, wake up, row, eat, sleep, eat, row, sleep, row, eat, go to bed.  Now with more detail: wake up on the right side of a cramped bed with Stanco about 6 inches to my left. Yeah…we’re sharing a bed. When we first arrived at the house, Øivind and Turner were both told they were going to be living in the attic, and when they walked into the room and found the double bed, they had a war of epic proportions over the bed until I came up to announce the bed was actually designated for myself…ourselves… Stanco and I.  So as the day goes on, we *walk* through the town because British people apparently aren’t accustomed to a gang of Americans running through the streets, and then the eight goes out.  I get my read on while the pair sits back with me awaiting the arrival of their long lost boat.  One day, when we had to return the only bike we had, Mr. Martin thought it would be a good idea to go for a run down the 2112 meter Henley course to meet the eight and watch a little bit of their practice.  Despite my better judgement (and desire to read my Dan Brown book), I decided to run with him and Duncan Fraser, who was also suckered into running.  I don’t like running.  We’ll just leave it at that.

Anyways, after the morning rows, we come back to the house and eat breakfast or if we had it before practice, we just come back and hangout until the next row.  For me, it usually consists of either sleeping, reading, or waiting twenty minutes for Øivind to finally come out of the bathroom for the fourth time that day.  I frankly I have no idea how any of the tall guys get by using this bathroom, not to mention the shower.  To turn it on we have to use a screwdriver.  Thank god I have a flathead screwdriver on the end of my coxswain tool.

Okay, enough of the day-to-day life, I’m sure you’re dying to hear how the racing today (Sunday) went.  On a more serious note, it really was fun.  For the first time on the trip, besides coxing the Tabor 4+ twice, I coxed.  Coxing the guys in the eight was incredible.  Moreover, coxing on the future Olympic course was incredible.  Actually being on the water is twice as spectacular compared to the picture-perfect view of the course. (see Hank Schless’s photo).  In the morning, we raced three other crews, the winning one being the Cambridge Lightweights.  Unfortunately, after a hard fought race, we placed fourth, but only three seconds from the lead.  For being in an event packed with only boats from universities, we raced incredibly well.  The afternoon race was pretty similar, but this time, Stanco was at the helm.  Right off the start, we took the lead, like we always do, but that lead was short lived.  The other two boats (again university crews) quickly caught up and took the lead, leaving us behind by what looked like 3 or 4 seats.  In the second and final 500, we took back those seats and positioned ourselves in second place, just a hare in front of third.  Unfortunately, even with a strong sprint, the third place crew pulled ahead in the final few meters and jumped into second place beating us by a mere 0.1 seconds.

Ed Williams ’09

Monday, June 22nd

After a weekend at the prestigious site of the 2012 Olympic rowing venue at the Eton College Rowing Centre, we have returned “The Lady Nina” (our borrowed Empacher) to its designated slot in the Henley regatta boat tent.  The experience at Dorney was fantastic, and the racing scene was eye-opening, but as amazing as it was to watch and race with some of the best, it was time to return to Henley as the main event nears by the second.

The rowing culture that exists only in Henley is certainly beginning to build as the regatta becomes more reality, and less of a dream.  A huge part of this culture is brought about  from the collection of all calibers of rowers, ranging from Olympians to high school freshmen, gathered together in the boat tent.  Last week the boat tent was not exactly filled, only ourselves, Tabor, and the Worcester (Mass.) Polytechnic Institute had arrived—not the most thrilling group.  However today that changed, when we walked to the boat tent in the morning to rig our boat, at least fifteen other crews had arrived to store their boats in assigned places in the boat tent and practice on the unique course before the regatta begins, and the excitement had certainly multiplied already, and will surely do so again upon the arrival of some of the big names in rowing like Andy Triggs-Hodge and Olaf Tufte, both reigning Olympic champions.

After the return of Coach Falco, and a relaxing morning off, we reported to the Thames for practice in the afternoon.  Working on our starts, and trying to find an optimum race cadence, the afternoon’s practice was a painful but necessary session.

The rowing is getting better every time we go on the water and, as the regatta closes in every minute, we all are becoming more focused, as we prepare ourselves for race day and the beginning of the biggest races of our rowing careers thus far.

It was a pleasure to update you on the trip thus far, and I hope that I am given the opportunity to do it again.

Ryan Gartin ’11

Tuesday, June 23rd

Today started with an early 7:55am wake-up call in my room from Duncan Fraser. My roommates and I only had five minutes to spare before the team left for the boat tent. (Someone forgot to set his alarm) This morning’s workout consisted of three pieces from the starting line to the Barrier (the first official mark on the racecourse). This distance was about 675 meters and included a start similar to the one we plan on using for race day. We improved with each piece and continued to increase the speed of the hull. After a cool down row, we got off the water and headed back to the house for some breakfast.

After the meal, the team went their separate ways to either go into town, to their computers, or back to sleep. I would like to tell you what happened in between the practices, but, to be honest, I was asleep from the end of breakfast until the moment we had to leave for the afternoon session. I am sure it was very typical with kids emailing their parents and buying more food from Waitrose (the local grocery store).

The afternoon session was filled mostly with technical drills to improve our speed at the catch and work on our body positioning with some hard strokes thrown in. We are feeling more and more confident about our chances every day in the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup and we are having a great time watching all the big name crews come in such as the Yale Women and the Princeton Lightweights.

It is currently 10:30pm and after a filling chicken potpie dinner courtesy of Mrs. Atkinson, I must bring this blog to a close. We hope you are all doing well back in the States and we hope to see you here soon in Henley!

Oivind Lorentzen ’09

Wednesday, June 24th

We are now in somewhat of a routine (which will only last for a few more days), Only today I walked downstairs at 7:59am to find everyone’s lights off fast asleep.  But everyone’s eagerness (or panic) got us all out the door walking to the boat tent right on time at 8. The boat tent gets busier every day. The lawn in front of the boat tent is mobbed with people. Crews park themselves under the sun trying to remove their tank tan in between practices while local babes come down for a picnic to watch them. Neither move for us or “The Lady Nina.”  As the tent fills up with more teams many of us have been scouting out future teammates. However, no one has gathered the courage to introduce themselves.

The morning workout was a tough one, consisting of some starts, then two body pieces from Fawley (a landmark that means nothing more to us then about 1000 meters to go) to the finish line. During these three minutes our focus was to keep the rate consistent and split down which simply means for us to pull our brains out. I am finally finding some comfort in rowing port (after switching sides the first day here). The first few days were a struggle for me, but every day it feels better and hopefully I will feel no difference between port and starboard in seven days time.

This afternoon we enjoyed the company of our rivals from our homeland, Kent. Kent is not in the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup so we can piece them safely without anticipating the possibility of drawing them. We lined up at the start with a whipping quartering tail wind and raced them to the end of the island, roughly the starting 250 meters. After the messiest start of the week we found ourselves three seats up, purely by means of brute force. It did not turn out as planned, but it was comforting to know that if we had done a cleaner start (like the ones earlier in the day) we would have had a significant lead that would enable us to hopefully “step on their throats” all the way to the Barrier. All in all it was a great opportunity to race against another crew. We are all looking forward to more piecing with Kent, or any other school for that matter, to fuel our competitiveness and train us to stay relaxed and composed next to another crew. As you can see the routine is pretty action packed and never really dull. The team went to the local movie theater tonight to watch Transformers 2, and that was definitely never dull.  It was either Megan Fox or the constant three hours of explosions that left us all shell shocked afterwards.

All in all, as we get closer to race day we get faster, more comfortable, and more excited to have this opportunity of a lifetime.

Hank Schless ’10

Thursday, June 25th

As one can tell from the previously written blogs, this trip has already been filled with a lot of both fun and hard work. Now that the jetlag has worn off, we’re into a solid routine of waking up about three minutes before we’re supposed to be outside to go down to the boat tent. After a hard morning practice, we consume a breakfast of cereal, croissants, and toast with the type of haste one would expect out of a team of hungry teenage boys. Soon enough, we’re back in our beds sleeping, reading, listening to music or, yet again, eating. After some recovery, we head into town for nothing but more food. We eat a lot, but it’s needed. Practicing twice a day (or three times a day in last week’s case) requires all the energy we can get. After lunch, it’s back to our rooms to hang out until the next practice. Once again, it’s down to the boat tent for our row. Afterwards, we come back to the house, shower, and then eat even more for dinner. The food here is delicious, or so I think. Maggie never disappoints us with what she can whip up. Anything she makes from Thai curry to gammon is always delicious. Don’t worry Mom, you’re food’s still better. After dinner, it’s back to someone’s room until 10:30pm or so when we head to our own rooms to go to bed after a long day.

The summary of our daily schedule I just wrote out quite laboriously might seem a bit generic for a team blog. Let me put it into some parts into the more specified scope of my roommates and I. At 7:40am, Lawrence’s phone alarm goes off. Or so we think. It’s definitely before 7:50, though; because we’re usually woken up by Duncan poking/nudging/punching us repeatedly and saying our names around that time. It usually gets me up, which isn’t easy to do, just ask any member of my family. It gets all of us up, in fact. For that, I give props to Duncan. Getting up isn’t easy. This is mostly because with a ceiling that’s about six feet high, simply standing up is a chore for Lawrence, Duncan, and I. Also, Gartin can’t really sit up in the top bunk of his bed. I would say we’ve all been really woken up by a solid smack of the head on the ceiling or our doorway. Regardless, by 7:55, we’re all at least conscious. By 7:57 we realize we’re about to be late. By 7:58, we’re changed and finding sunglasses or drinks or shoes. By some form of a miracle, we’re all upstairs in time with the rest of the team. The walk down to the boat tent is usually pretty quiet, considering we’re all about ten minutes out of bed. The morning row is usually more rigorous than the afternoon in both boats. By the time it’s over, we’re all eager to get back home and eat breakfast at a table made for about eight people max.

On the way to the house, arguments over who gets first shower are pretty noticeable. Gartin or Duncan claiming first shower usually doesn’t go over too well with me and Lawrence. Even the plead for second shower gets pretty well shot down. We’re not that mean about it, because we all know how nice it is to have first shower. With that in mind, we give them priority a couple days a week. Every couple of days, one of us will pull a fast one and slip into the bathroom right as the person before them comes out. After all that goes down, we settle down and take it easy until lunchtime. At 12:30 or so, Gartin decides to wake up from his hibernation, Duncan decides to turn off the iPod (it’s usually my iPod just because of his desire to beat my high score on every single game on it. He’s doing pretty well.), and I decide to put down my book. We proceed to head into town with other teammates and get a bite to eat at one of a variety of places. After eating, we head home with full stomachs that will soon be refilled with some sort of snack food. Don’t worry moms; it’s usually something along the lines of Nutri-Grain Bars. We’re eating healthy. I promise.

The afternoon is relatively similar to the morning. Even though we know we’ve got all the time in the world to get ready, we still leave it for the last few minutes to get ready just to get the most out of our funny conversation, book, or that last song before we head off to practice on the Thames. Once again, practice is a bit easier but by no means easy in the afternoon. After practice, the fight over shower is a little more aggressive. Here’s usually how it happens: Duncan claims first shower. Lawrence has already called first shower so he looks at Duncan and lets him know with a simple “nope.” Then we ask Gartin how long it has been since he last showered. He says this morning, but we all know that’s probably not true. He insists, but finally gives in. With this confirmed, we all yell that he’s the reason the room smelled a little off this morning. It’s all in good fun, though, because we know it’s probably a combination of socks and spandex. Now we head to our room. One of us might hit our head but we just laugh it off. Lawrence showers, I shower, and I return to Duncan and Gartin wrestling towards the doorway for the next shower. One wins, showers, and we all can now relax. After this series of events, we head up to dinner. Once again, we consume it wholeheartedly. When we all return to our room, we decide what song to set as an alarm and go to sleep relatively soon after.

So far, the trip has been a lot of fun and it really is a unique experience. We’ve been given the opportunity to row at the course on which the 2012 Olympics will be held, race international crews, stay in the historic town of Henley, and have dinner in the town of neighboring town of Marlow with some boys and coaches from the Marlow Rowing Club (an historic club which we toured this evening).  I know that the opportunities that are still to come will only make this list more unique. We’re truly lucky to be able to go on such a trip thanks to all that our parents do for us. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that we are all extremely fortunate to be able to take part in and one that we will all never forget.

“Captain-Elect” Lawrence Lopez-Menzies ’10

Friday, June 26th

Today I had the pleasure of being one of the nine to row along the Thames from Henley to Reading, as well as being one of the fourteen stranded on Oxford Street due to a minor gasoline error. These stories will both come in due time.

Our day started off with two Fawley pieces against Green Lake Crew from Seattle. Though we found ourselves a few seats down on them in both pieces, Coach Falco was pleased with the improvements on our times. After the morning row, we returned to the Atkinson’s house to eat breakfast and rest before the afternoon row.

Though the afternoon row to Reading was fairly long, it was a lot of fun. Traveling along the windy Thames from lock to lock and getting a chance to row past a few towns was an awesome experience. Below is a picture of us in the second of the three locks.

After we reached the 800-meter racecourse and put the boat on a set of boat racks, we walked to the nearby Tesco (equivalent of Stop & Shop) while the coaches put gas in the van. A few minutes after leaving Tesco we wound up on Oxford Street. While the rest of the team went to a nearby Italian restaurant, Coach Falco took one for the team and waited by the van for a tow truck to arrive. After dinner we rejoined Coach in awaiting the arrival of the tow truck, and as much fun as it was trying to see who could reach highest on the nearby Lexus billboard, I think I speak for everyone when I say we were very happy to see the tow truck come around the corner with a spare van. After a long, tiring day of rowing, it was a great relief to get back to the Atkinson’s house.

We’re all anticipating the 800-meter races tomorrow, the arrival of our families, and the first day of the Henley Royal Regatta. Travel safely.

Peter Haley ’09 and Chan Mahaney ’09

Sunday, June 28th

Sorry for the gap day with no blog…after a long day of rowing, basically the entire household was asleep right after dinner.  On Saturday we had a fun day of competition. The pair had several races against some formidable yachts, and ended up second place in the finals. The eight had four races, and the transition between them was anything but easy. One of the hardest parts of the day was finding out we could not even get out of the boat in between our first two races.  Anyway, it was a successful day, and Brunswick and you brought home some hardware in the end.

On the long row back down the mighty Thames, we ended up having to wait at the final lock for about 40 minutes before we realized that there was no operator. As we waited, boats from the regatta that left after us began to pile up. Fortunately, the classy Tabor coxswain knew to manually open the lock, and we were able to row back to the dock at Henley.

After such a long day of rowing and competing, the coaches gave us the morning off to rest. At breakfast, we talked about the draw for Henley that came out on Saturday evening. Wednesday, we will be racing Canford School at 6:10pm. The team’s spirits were high today and after a great row this afternoon we are all optimistic. We are lucky to get an evening row because many of us have had a rough time waking up in the morning. With only a few more practices left, the team is more focused than ever. We will keep you updated as we get closer to the race.

Bridges King ’09

Monday, June 29th

Hey guys, Bridges here. This morning we were all very tired from the strenuous practices from the previous days so we got off to a slow start. However, once we all got up and down to the boat tent, we were ready to go! The lawn in front of the boat tent is so packed now that we can hardly get our boat out. During this mornings practice we did a Fawley piece versus theYale lightweight alums who refer to themselves as “Four Score and Four Rowing Club.” We had a successful piece and ended up winning by a length of open water. This gave us a lot of confidence. After we got off the water, we all went back to the house and had the “usual” breakfast. Some of the guys went straight to bed after eating and other went on their computers. However, Ed and I went to Starbucks to meet up with some of our future teammates at Cal that are also rowing for their respective high schools at the Henley Royal Regatta.

During the afternoon piece we all went out for an abbreviated row. The plan for the row was to go up and down the course twice. Once we got on the water, we found out that we were going to be doing a starting piece against the Princeton varsity lightweights (undefeated national champions). It was a very cool experience being on the starting line with such a distinguished crew. After racing Princeton, we headed back up the river to start a similar piece against Trinity College, Dublin, which was also fun.

After the second row, we all headed back up to the house. We decided on eating at Zizzi’s for the second night in a row. It’s two nights before the race, which is the most important night of rest, so toodles for now ladies and gents. See you in the near future.

Duncan Fraser ’11

Tuesday, June 30th

The days leading up to the big race have gone by so fast.  It feels like just yesterday that we were back training on the Mianus River at 6:30 in the morning.  Now, with one day left before the big race, the atmosphere in the house and down by the boat tent is building in anticipation of the events to come.  However, Tuesday gave us a little break from all that nervous anticipation.

Obviously, I am talking about the Spares Pairs Race.  The Spares Pairs Race is an unofficial race for the spares of the crews who will race in the Henley Royal Regatta.

The race starts. The Brunswick Spare Pair, which consists of Hank Schless and myself, had recently done fairly well at the Reading Town Regatta, placing second in the IM2 coxless pair event. This race provided some stiff competition including pairs from Bates, Princeton, MIT, Belmont Hill and Gonzaga.  Our pair drew Bates in the first round and unfortunately lost.  We were even with them for the first five hundred meters of the race, but the bigger college kids had the slight edge over us and began to move on us.  The fact that I had the stomach bug didn’t help us against the massive Bates kids.  We finished just two lengths behind the Bates pair and felt like we had done all we could against them.

While the Brunswick Pair was out rowing their hearts out in the Spares Pair Race, the eight spent the day preparing for the big Henley race.  They rowed twice that day and spent the rest relaxing and trying to get mentally ready.  That night the team had an amazing turkey dinner together.  The night had no great excitement.  We all went to our rooms after dinner and felt the importance build toward the big day that was just hours away.

Christian Stanco ’09

Wednesday, July 1st

Today was a truly historic day for Brunswick Rowing in that we experienced our first ever win at the Henley Royal Regatta. Our day began with a late wake up, around 9:30, and a team breakfast. At noon we walked down to the course for a quick practice during the regatta’s lunch intermission. As we went out on the water, the grand stage that is Henley was all around us. From the hundreds of boats to the constant cheering from fans, the atmosphere was nothing like we had ever encountered in the States. After taking a quick loop on the course we got off the water to better mentally prepare for the race ahead.

At around 4:20 we walked to the boat tent and began warming up for our 6:10 race. After stretching on land and having a brief team meeting, we got hands on “The Lady Nina” and went on the water. We rowed to the starting line doing our normal warm up. All the guys were focused, confident and prepared to face off against Canford. Getting into the starting blocks was the moment we had been waiting for since we arrived here on June 17th. We had trained harder and practiced more times than we had all spring season. This was where we could show our skills and ability to move the boat.

Once the umpire’s flag came down, the race was on. Our start was clean and we were able to gain a couple seats from it. At the Barrier, we were about a length up and it was still the first half of the race. Gaining open water by the Fawley was very important since we could control the race and match any move that Canford tried to make. Without a need to sprint, we rowed with confidence past the enclosures and our parents screaming. As we got over the finish line, the result was obvious. We had won by 3 1/4th lengths. Exhausted, but overjoyed, we thanked Canford and rowed to the docks.

Lawrence Lopez-Menzies ’10

Thursday, July 2nd

These past few days have been very busy. Thursday afternoon we faced Gonzaga, a team we raced at the Stotesbury Cup Regatta this Spring. After losing to them by 10 seconds in our prior encounter, we knew we had a tough race ahead of us.

Thursday morning, the whole team stayed at the Atkinson’s house to get psyched for the race. Although everyone had their own preparation, one thing was on all nine of our minds, beating Gonzaga. By the time we left the house, not one of us was unprepared. We were all focused and anxious to get out on the water. When the time to launch finally came, we were all more excited to race than we were on Wednesday. The chance to prove ourselves against a very strong crew was the motivation we needed.

We had a great race warm-up and we were ready to race once we reached the starting blocks. With both crews in position, all that was needed was the “Attention… Row!” call from the umpire. Once this was called, we were off. The start was very close, but we managed to pull ahead by just a few seats. As the race went on, Gonzaga continually called move after move in an attempt to overtake us. However, thanks to Christian’s excellent coxing, we were able to maintain our lead, and by the end of the race, we’d opened our lead to a little over a boat length.

After we placed “The Lady Nina” back in the boat tent and shook hands with Gonzaga, we were greeted by the applause of our ecstatic families. After talking over the race, giving out hugs and handshakes, and taking pictures, we returned to the Atkinson’s house to prepare for Brunswick’s traditional Thursday Family-Team Dinner held at Villa Marina. Filled with laughter and smiles, the dinner gave everyone a chance to celebrate together. Sitting with our respective families, we had a chance to tell our families about our experience thus far. Because of Friday’s race, we had to leave dinner early and return to the Atkinson’s house to get some much needed rest.

Just as we had all expected, the race against Gonzaga was one of our hardest races thus far, but we were all glad to have had the opportunity to race them a second time. Friday’s race against Latymer Upper School is certainly going to be another difficult one, but we were all looking forward to the challenge.

Turner Smith ’09

Friday, July 3rd

Hey everyone. I’m thrilled to report that the Brunswick Varsity 8+ was victorious today in its race against Latymer Upper School in the quarterfinal of the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup! With the win today, we will now face Abingdon School in the semifinal tomorrow. This race was an incredibly difficult contest between two strong crews and we are ecstatic to have come out on top.

The race began at 5:40PM with a strong cross-headwind coming from the starboard side. Latymer took a quick lead off the start and were ahead by a full length at the Barrier, maintaining that lead through Fawley. However, once we settled into our base pace and began to take moves, we gradually chipped away at the Latymer lead and pulled even with them near the Stewards’ Enclosure. We were able to surpass Latymer in the last 500 meters with a hard sprint and won by a full length, securing a trip to tomorrow’s semifinals.

This week at the Henley Royal Regatta has been a historic run for the Brunswick crew team. As one of the top four boats remaining in the P.E. Cup, we are now the last American crew, as well as the only unseeded crew, left in our division. We’re looking forward to our semifinal race against Abingdon tomorrow as we attempt to gain a spot in Sunday’s final.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July and at 3:30PM there promises to be a classic American/British showdown. LET’S GO ‘WICK!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *